Glow from the Inside Out!
When people set out to get a “healthy glow”, they tend to go outside for some sunshine, brush on some shimmery bronzer, or make an appointment at the spa for a facial. At DermaMed Solutions, we think there’s more to it. As a manufacturer of the MegaPeel microdermabrasion and dmSkincare clean clinical skincare line, we absolutely believe these products work to exfoliate and nourish the skin, but our belief is that for long term results, you need to think about what’s going on beneath the surface in order to achieve lasting results. Healthy skin begins with good nutrition and lifestyle habits.
Ask yourself the following questions to decide if you are doing all you can to nourish your glow from the outside in:
- How many servings of fruits and vegetables did you eat today? Fruits and vegetables are packed with powerful antioxidants and phytonutrients that prevent harmful cell deterioration on the skin and provide cells with the basic nutrition they need to protect from UV radiation and oxidative damage. Eating 5-7 servings per day in a rainbow of colors should be your #1 goal.
- Are you getting your essential fatty acids? Omega-3 fatty acids are an essential fat found in fish oil and to a lesser degree in flax seeds and other plant sources. Are you getting 1000 mg of EPA and DHA every day? If not, add fatty fish, milled flax, and chia seeds to your meals every day.
- Do you drink clean, filtered tap or mineral water every day? Staying hydrated contributes to skin elasticity and helps the body to detoxify and transport nutrients to skin cells. Green tea is also a great source of hydration, with the added punch of ECGC a powerful antioxidant.
- Did you get your zzzzz’s last night? Sleep deprivation shows on our skin in the form of dark circles and lackluster tone. Lack of sleep increases cortisol, which in turn lowers collagen production, making your skin age faster than it should. Aim for 7-9 hours per night – it’s important!
- How well are you managing your stress? During times of stress, the hormone cortisol is released, again interfering with your collagen production. Stress depletes B vitamins too. Read up on Mindful practices, a great tool for keeping stress in check. Also, no matter how stressed you are feeling, don’t reach for carb-laden foods for comfort. They will only do harm to your skin. Stay focused on the healthy eating tips above during times of stress and you will be better equipped to deal with things.
Once you have your good nutrition in place, focus on the outside by getting regular facials, using skin care products that nourish and protect the skin, and prevent UV damage with a high quality mineral sunscreen. For a quick glow before your next party, try the dmSkincare™ retinyl enzyme mask, a botanical exfoliator that uses fruit enzymes to take away the dead layer of skin cells and leave your skin glowing and refreshed.
Happy Holidays everyone. Enjoy your parties and keep your skin aglow with good nutrition on the outside and inside!