Week 1 – Fabulous Phytonutrients
Phytonutrients are compounds that plants produce to protect themselves from damage. They offer us similar benefits in the way they combat free radicals in our bodies. Our skin is our first line of defense from environmental and other toxins. If we provide our skin with the powerful nutrients that come from plants, we strengthen our skin and create a super barrier against damage.
The challenge for this week: Eat 5-7 servings of plant foods every day.
A serving is approximately 1 cup of vegetables or fruit. One piece of fruit is generally 1 serving. You can count 1 serving of 100% fruit or vegetable juice per day towards your goal, but whole foods for the rest.
- Sprinkle berries on your breakfast cereal, oatmeal or yogurt.
- Add avocado slices to your sandwich instead of cheese or mayo.
- Use spaghetti squash as a base for spaghetti and meatballs rather than pasta.
- Toss some spinach into your breakfast smoothie with blueberries and pineapple (really…it’s good!)
- Vegetable soup is delicious and low-calorie. Have a bowl before dinner or for an afternoon snack.
- Pack a cooler bag with pre-cut veggies and fresh fruit for the day. Don’t allow yourself to snack on anything else until the bag is empty.
To get a good mix of phytonutrients, focus on eating vegetables in a variety of colors since the different “colors” represent different protective compounds found in the plants. Eat a rainbow of colors every day!
More information on the value of phytonutrients will be posted later in the week along with a healthy and delicious recipe.
Post photos on our Facebook page of how you creatively manage to get your colorful fruits and vegetable servings every day so we can share ideas! While there, be sure to click on the message tab to send us a message stating your name and contact information to officially sign up and share your experiences and ideas with other challenge participants to inspire others. We will award bi-weekly prizes of dmSkincare line from DermaMed Solutions.